The Enterprise Epic Learning Program Manager Information Technology – Epic leads the planning, delivery, and oversight of training and talent development for clinical information systems and applications for the learning/training program of the Epic project (Pre-live, Implementation, Stabilization, and Optimization). Reporting to the Director of Epic Enterprise Learning, the Enterprise Epic Learning Program Manager is the project leader overseeing implementation and operation activities for the Enterprise Epic learning team. The individual is part of a consortium team with colleagues at affiliated institutions, consisting of clinicians, project managers, analysts, trainers, and developers with module specific domain expertise. This position works closely with clinical and business leadership and leads a multidisciplinary team in the design, implementation, workflow optimization, change management, training, and issue resolution related to the enterprise system. This position requires broad knowledge of adult learning and instruction, individual and team development, and clinical systems such as the Epic platform, along with clinical workflow and business processes. As a Program Manager for the Enterprise Epic initiative, this individual will collaborate with appropriate technical and operational leaders from affiliated institutions.
- Develops, leads, and mentors staff, including, but not limited to, principal trainers, credentialed trainers, training coordinators, and training analysts, responsible for the training of supported systems and workflows.
- Oversees the Enterprise Epic Learning Team and associated admin staff, including managing day-to-day operations.
- Aids in the development of long-term strategies and key initiatives to promote and achieve a culture of service excellence and employee engagement.
- Performs gap analysis on learning/training resources to maintain optimum efficiency.
- Creates training schedules for Pilot, Super User, and End User training.
- Prepares and analyzes reports on training hours, training audits, and support cases to leverage this information for improvement opportunities.
- Oversees the learning management system (LMS) with regard to optimization and maintenance. Partners with technical staff to ensure seamless system upgrades and robust change management processes are in place.
- Identifies ways to improve the portfolio of training offered and the best medium for its delivery.
- Works with stakeholders to ensure Principal Trainers create curricula that address client training needs. Ensures the learning team practices version control and that all materials are kept current with new version releases and configuration updates.
- Oversees the updates to the training calendar for all courses, ensuring an appropriate allocation of resources.
- Analyzes standard training offerings and supplements with custom training when necessary.
- Maintains organization’s effectiveness and efficiency by defining, delivering, and supporting strategic plans for implementing new and innovative training technologies.
- Applies strategic thinking to IT service management. The ultimate goal is to design, develop, and implement service management as both an organizational capability and a strategic asset.
- Provides overall direction and guidance to the Enterprise Epic Learning team. Coordinates schedules and related project activities to ensure the work and documentation meet appropriate departments/service line standards.
- Collaborates with users and other IT departments to develop strategy and goals for team and department.
- Participates in key user committees to identify business learning and training requirements and recommend solutions that conform to organizational goals and regulatory guidelines. Develops innovative approaches for dealing with customer learning/training needs that are also aligned with overall information services goals and objectives.
- Manages competing priorities to keep the team on track to deliver high-quality solutions.
- Performs all duties inherent to managerial role. Participates in hiring, training, evaluation and termination of assigned staff according to policies and procedures. Evaluates employee performance. Responsible for timekeeping of direct reports.
- Supervises training of users and other staff in current and new aspects of system functionality.
- Participates in go-lives and support.
- Performs other special projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Education, or related field, and at least 5 years of related work experience.
- 5 or more years of solid experience in training design and delivery.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement projects as well as interact effectively with application teams in complex problem situations.
- Certification is required as noted below.
Highly Desired Requirements
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in implementing the Epic electronic health record system in a direct training role in at least one prior implementation, and certification in at least one clinical or revenue cycle Epic module. If not certified, certification must be obtained within four months of hire. A second certification is required within the first year of hire.
- Proven versatile communicator across all areas (executives, senior leadership, certified/principal trainers, credentialed trainers, analysts, physician and non-physician end users, vendors, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency with Learning Management Systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Inpatient and Outpatient Clinical and Revenue cycle settings and implementation methodologies as it relates to projects.
- PMP Certification or previous project management experience with EHRs or Practice Management Systems, including demonstrated proficiency with project management scheduling software.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to achieve results in a complex environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills are required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with personal computers (and operating systems) including Microsoft Windows, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Captivate.
Although it is a rare request, all staff are expected to move computer equipment or similar objects to expedite projects.
Apply online at:
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
About this company
Among the world’s leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York continuously seeks to advance the frontiers of scholarship and foster a campus community deeply engaged in the complex issues of our time through teaching, research, patient care and public service. The University is comprised of 16 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools, and four affiliated colleges and seminaries in Manhattan, and a wide array of research institutes and global centers around the world. More than 40,000 students, award-winning faculty and professional staff define the University’s underlying values and commitment to pursuing new knowledge and educating informed, engaged citizens. Founded in 1754 as King’s College, Columbia is the fifth oldest institution of higher learning in the United States.
Location/Region: New York