Indian Health Service is hiring a Community Health Nurse with Public Health Experience in Polacca, AZ
Recruitment Bonus and/or Moving Reimbursement may be authorized.
If Eligible for Recruitment Bonus and/or Moving Reimbursement:
- Relocation/Moving Expenses covered and arranged prior to moving with a moving company. Moving Expenses covered up front by IHS. Candidates must work for one year for expenses to continue to be covered.
- Recruitment Bonuses up to $5,000 Sign-On bonus awarded immediately, candidates must work the full year.
Pay: $58,477 - $86,673
Why Choose IHS?
- Do you have student loans? You may be interested in our Loan Repayment Program.
- Loan Repayment Application available after entry on duty
- 10 paid Government Holidays
- Government Benefits Package includes Multiple Medical Insurance plan options
- Pension plus Thrift Saving Plan matching 5% of Salary,
- 104 Hours Personal Time Off AND 104 hours of Paid Sick Leave, accumulated over the first year.
- Vested after 5 years: Eligible for pension after 5 years of working at retirement age (62)
- Ability to continue to carry government insurance after retirement at the same rate as if you were working
*Recruitment bonus and or moving of household goods may be authorized in addition to salary
- Formulates and implements overall community health nursing programs and plans to satisfy varying patient load requirements, priorities for service and other healthcare objectives;
- Tracks community health status and evaluate health trends and risk factors of population groups;
- Collects data in a systematic organized manner and analyzes the collected assessment of data;
- Investigates health problems and hazards such as communicable diseases and develop a recommended plan of action to address these issues;
- Provides health education to individuals, families and community groups in various settings;
- Performs community assessments to develop a plan of action; and
- Collaborates and establishes partnerships with Tribal Community Health Representatives, Local, State and Federal systems.
- Registered Nurse (RN) License or Certification
- 1 or More Years of Community or Public Health Experience
We are located just east of the intersection of Hwy 87 and Hwy 264 in northern Arizona in an area called First Mesa. The Hopi people settled into this land in the area where three mesas stand side by side, dotted with quaint reservation villages scattered throughout the three mesas. Each mesa and each village has its own history and a surprising variation in traditions. The village of Polacca has a convenience store with an ATM, a post office (zip code 86042), as well as a few other small stores, mostly selling arts and crafts. The village of Keams Canyon, approximately 11 miles to the east, has a small grocery store/restaurant/trading post, a post office, a gas station, and a few small stores. Larger towns such as Flagstaff, AZ (2 hour drive), Winslow, AZ (1 hour drive), Gallup, NM (1½ hour drive), and Dilkon, AZ (45 min. drive) offer a wider selection of shopping and entertainment. The Southwest region has many other attractions such as hiking, camping, mountain biking, rafting/canoeing, fishing, skiing/snowboarding, and dozens of state and national parks in the surrounding Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado areas. While many of these activities are a bit of a drive (between 1-5 hours for most), there are often local groups traveling from the reservation to the cities or on outdoor adventure trips on the weekends.
Location/Region: Polacca, AZ