This management classification is responsible for core divisional operations or institution of the Probation Department. The required responsibilities for this position includes travel throughout the County and oversight of multiple and diverse units. Candidates should note that Santa Barbara County offers a flexible (9/80) work schedule. Additionally, the Probation Department is well respected throughout the State and is recognized as progressive, innovative, data driven evidence based and is dedicated to the mission of serving the community. As a member of the management team, the selected candidate will be responsible for providing vision and guidance to meet the challenges of the present and shape the department of the future, while maintaining or exceeding the current standard of excellence.
MISSION: The Probation Department's mission is to protect the community by: providing information and recommendations to the courts; providing safe, secure and effective juvenile detention and treatment programs; enforcing court orders and post release community supervision conditions, requiring offender responsibility/accountability, and supporting rehabilitation; and providing victim services that include facilitating reparation and restitution to victims. For more information about the department, please visit: www.countyofsb.org/probation/home
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Leads the planning and organizing of adult or juvenile probation services provided through a variety of departmental programs or in a detention facility, or departmental personnel/training services designed to support program and facilities staff; sets program goals and measurements; and assumes accountability for program results.
- Makes broad policy decisions by serving on the department policy council and participating in the development and modification of departmental policies and procedures; may prepare correspondence, special reports, manuals, and grant applications.
- Oversees the program budget development by assisting in setting budget priorities by identifying needs such as capital improvements, supplies, and staffing; balances fiscal priorities; prioritizes and allocates resources within the program; and coordinates resources with other programs or departments.
- Supervises others, including administrative and/or supervisors. Designs and participates in the testing and selection of job candidates, participates in or makes hiring decisions; sets performance standards, and evaluates performance; identifies training needs and conducts or arranges for training; directs subordinate staff by providing technical guidance and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Confers with representatives of other County departments, other government agencies, and community organizations to coordinate efforts to provide cooperative services; may develop contracts or agreements with organizations or individuals to provide needed services, such as training of staff; represents the department before professional organizations, appointed boards, and the public, by explaining and promoting departmental decisions, and engaging community interest in and support for departmental programs.
- Exercises a high-level of independent action and decision making at the program level.
Location/Region: Fontana, CA (92331)