The City of Ithaca has embarked upon the challenge posed by climate change, and is seeking a Director of Sustainability to launch the City in an organizational transformation initiative to meet the
goals of the City’s Green New Deal.
The successful individual will have experience with issues surrounding climate change, be a strong visionary with deep commitment to environmental justice and advancing social equity through environmental stewardship, public health, and sustainable urban development.
Ithaca sits on the southern shore of Cayuga Lake in Central New York. This dynamic city is the home of Cornell University and Ithaca College. Ithaca’s multicultural community boasts representation from more than 90 countries.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
- This is a professional and administrative position responsible for launching, organizing, and directing the City of Ithaca in an organizational transformation initiative to meet the goals of the City’s Green New Deal.
- The Director of Sustainability is the central point person responsible for overseeing the City’s Climate Action Plan and energy sustainability initiatives.
- The incumbent identifies and coordinates interdepartmental efforts to identify, plan, finance, and implement strategies to reduce greenhouse gas consumption and emissions, and benchmarks progress towards the City’s goal for carbon neutrality by 2030.
- The Director of Sustainability serves as the City’s lead advisor on energy sustainability issues and collaborates with department heads and public interest groups to achieve the goals outlined in the City’s Green New Deal.
- Knowledge of sustainability topics such as climate change and adaptation, greenhouse gas emissions, transportation alternatives, waste reduction, sustainable food systems, water protection, and other localized environmental and economic stressors is essential. The incumbent must also have a deep commitment to environmental justice and for advancing social equity through environmental stewardship, public health, and sustainable urban development.
- The Director of Sustainability must be a champion for equity and sustainability and must be able to highlight these as core institutional values and considered in every decision made by the City.
- The work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Planning and Development, in accordance with established City goals, with considerable leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in the performance of the work.
- Supervision is exercised over the work of professional, technical and clerical staff. Does related work
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in engineering, architecture, environmental science, business management, public administration, urban and regional planning or a related field with similar course curriculum and five (5) years full-time paid professional experience, or its part time paid professional equivalent; or
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, architecture, environmental science, business management, public administration, urban and regional planning or a related field with similar course curriculum and seven (7) years full-time paid professional experience, or its part time paid professional equivalent; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
EXAM REQUIREMENTS: A civil service exam will be required at a later date.
APPLICATION MATERIALS REQUIRED:
• City of Ithaca application
• Copy of college transcript
Applications must be received by the City of Ithaca Human Resources Department no later than 4:30
PM EST on the last filing date indicated below. Postmarks are not accepted. All applications must
be original applications, either hard copy or electronically submitted through our online application
program. We do not accept faxed applications, e-mailed applications or photocopies of applications.
Submit required application materials by February 10, 2020:
The City of Ithaca is committed to Equity and Inclusion. We encourage those with similar values to
Location/Region: Ithaca, NY