The Kercher Group, Inc. is a growing engineering and infrastructure management consulting firm in the mid-Atlantic region which provides engineering, land planning, environmental and construction support services to state and local governments, as well as, private entities. We serve as municipal engineers for various local government agencies in Delaware and Maryland.
The Kercher Group is seeking a Transportation Engineering Technician - Construction Inspector working in our Newark, DE office. This could be a part-time or full-time position working with municipalities in Delaware. Working under direct supervision, the Engineering Technician /Construction Inspector will:
• Inspect the work of contractors on highway, street, bridge, water and wastewater systems facilities or other complex construction projects to ensure compliance with specifications, standards and codes
• Observe and document routine field tests on construction materials such as slump test, air content test, and compaction tests
• Measure and record material placed for periodic contractor payments
• Prepare daily inspection reports and/or logs that describe number of employees on a job site, amount of work performed, and materials used, weather conditions, accidents on the job site and equipment used
• Work in various weather conditions and terrains and will be available nights and weekends as needed
• Work effectively with others
• Understand and follow instructions
Job Requirements Required Qualifications:
• High School diploma or equivalent with a strong math background. Education beyond high school is preferred.
• At least two (2) years of experience in inspection of roadway and land development site construction. Candidates with supervisory and/or journeyman experience in the construction trades will also be considered.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to pass a Department of Motor Vehicle check.
• Reliable transportation for travel to, from and on the project site
• Ability to pass a background test and drug test
• Proficient in math and English
• Demonstrated basic computer skills and must be proficient in Word and Excel.
• Introductory-level knowledge of construction practices and techniques, engineering methods and techniques
• The ability to work in the United States immediately is required.
• NICET transportation certification (any level)
• ACI Concrete Field certification
• OSHA 10-hour Safety certification
• Willingness to travel out-of-state for several days periodically, is highly desired to assist with the evaluation of infrastructure.
Location/Region: Wilmington, DE