OFFICE ASSISTANT – TREASURER’S OFFICE
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Perform a variety of basic routine clerical work. Able to perform the tasks necessary to prepare various reports, statistics, postings and make arithmetic computations. Ability to use a variety of office machines including personal computers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Tasks are performed under the direction of the department or division head or their designee.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this classification may be called upon to do any or all of the following:
- Type from rough drafts or instruction forms; letter, receipts, records, vouchers, departmental reports, permits or other materials.
- Maintain records, files, charts and other information.
- Make postings, reconcilements and balances of clerical records.
- Give information to the public by telephone or in person where familiarity with moderately complex requirements or procedures is essential; explain procedures and activities to the public; collect fees and receive payments, and assist the public in the preparation of forms and statements.
- Compile statistics and periodic reports of a standardized nature.
- Check the accuracy and completeness of records, forms and documents.
- Perform miscellaneous clerical work as required, such as the receipt and distribution of mail, the requisitioning of supplies and the operation of various office machines and computers.
- Operate a telephone, scanner, fax or copy machine.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to understand the basic organization of city government and its functions.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to speak, understand English and to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate orally and in legible writing.
- Working knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain and keep clerical records and to prepare accurate reports and tabulations from such records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other employees.
- Ability to multi-task.
PRELIMINARY QUALIFICATIONS: An applicant shall possess, upon the application, based upon the closing date of the posting, the following education and experience certified by the Civil Service Commission.
- High school or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Ability to pass a typing test at thirty-five (35) net words per minute, and possess basic computer skills.
- Six (6) months full-time work experience in an office environment.
- Six (6) months experience in a municipal Treasurer’s Office
Please click apply now
Location/Region: Warren, MI