FLEET MAINTENANCE MECHANIC TECHNICIAN
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Perform the duties of a journeyman mechanic in maintaining, repairing and servicing a wide variety of trucks, automobiles and gasoline and diesel powered equipment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is under the direction of the Superintendent and/or Associate Manager of the department or division involved, or their designee, or assigned unsupervised small groups.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: No supervision is exercised over other employees, but may lead workers in specific areas.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Perform and lead employees of a lower grade regarding general truck and automotive maintenance and repair work including the overhauling of cars, light trucks, sweepers, heavy duty trucks, refuse packers, tractor loaders, graders, hydraulic systems and other power driven equipment.
- Diagnose, dismantle, adjust, repair and replace parts in motors, diesel engines, transmissions, chassis, hydraulic and air brakes of heavy duty trucks, automobiles, motorcycles and other equipment.
- Reline and adjust brakes, cylinders and adjust heavy duty air brakes.
- Rebuild and replace wheel cylinders and calipers.
- Grind valves and recondition engine heads.
- Bump out and paint damaged fenders and bodies.
- Weld broken parts of equipment by electrical and/or acetylene methods.
- Repair diesel engines, fuel injections pumps, alternators, lights, pros, hydraulic pumps, hydraulic cylinders and air compressors.
- Field service calls and make repairs on disabled equipment.
- Locate and determine the nature of electrical and mechanical defects.
- Operate a variety of machines and equipment used in general mechanical and repair work.
- Assist in the assignment and check the work of employees engaged in such related maintenance and repair work.
- Maintain an inventory of parts, tools and supplies used for repair of motorized equipment.
- Maintain detailed parts and time records as required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties so classified.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods and tools necessary to repair a wide variety of automotive equipment, including heavy duty trucks, maintenance and construction equipment and their brake and hydraulic systems.
- Considerable knowledge of internal combustion engines, diesel engines, automotive electricity, differential assemblies, carburetion, fuel injection pumps and transmissions.
- Significant knowledge of the standard practices, methods and tools necessary to repair diesel engines, fuel injection pumps, rear end differentials, transmissions, air brakes and compressors, hydraulic pumps, pros and cylinders.
- Ability to lay out and initiate a variety of mechanical repair work.
- Working knowledge of the methods and practices used in receiving and issuing materials and supplies.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public and other employees.
PRELIMINARY QUALIFICATIONS: An applicant shall possess upon application based upon the closing date of the posting, the following education and experience or its satisfactory equivalent as outlined and certified by the Civil Service Commission.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED equivalent plus vocational training with courses in general shop, automotive and truck repair or completion of an apprenticeship in truck and automotive repair.
- Six (6) years recent (within 5 years) experience performing increasingly responsible work as a journeyman automotive mechanic with at least three (3) years of the six (6) working on heavy duty trucks and heavy motorized equipment.
- Must obtain a valid commercial driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Michigan, with the proper endorsements, within 60 days of appointment.
- Driving record must meet City’s standards for insurability.
- Employees in this classification will be required to provide the tools commonly used in the performance of automotive and heavy duty truck repair.
Please click apply now
Location/Region: Warren, MI